Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Christmas and July

As per usual, I've bolted the door, laid in supplies of ice cream and movies, and hidden the phone in an attempt to ride out the storm known as Christmas. Sometimes people think that I'm being facetious when I say that I hate the holidays, but I'm not. And when I try to convince them that it's different for people who grew up without families, or who grew up in other people's families, I can usually tell when they've heard too much by the way their eyes cloud over not long into the explanation. The period between Christmas and New Year's can be one of the most difficult times of the year for adoptees embroiled in the search for family members when it seems that everyone else in the world has gently retired to the warmth and comfort of a familial togetherness that is, more often than not, completely taken for granted. (I am well aware of the fact that this is a sweeping generalization, but something about this time of year precipitates such displays of overwrought emotion, does it not?)

What am I most looking forward to, then, in 2008 you ask?

Well, I'll tell you. The only thing that I've started planning for the new year is our trip to New Orleans in July for the Adoptee Rights Protest on the 22nd. I'm looking forward to standing in a crowd of other people in the light of day who share my own secrets so that we can wrangle our private shame, guilt, and anger into something more positive and productive, like political change and retroactive adoption law reform in most of these United States. I can't wait to finally be on the offensive about this issue, en masse, rather than constantly being put on the defensive in a thousand useless conversations when faced with questions like, "Why are you so obsessed with finding your family?" with people who have no personal experience with adoption, but ridiculously strong opinions about the subject nonetheless.

Plus, I am beside myself with excitement about hopping a train in Chicago with The Boyfriend and riding the rails on The City of New Orleans all the way down to Louisiana!