Friday, September 12, 2008

"The Locator"

Made its debut on WE tv last Saturday and I was dubious. (Might still be, actually). I tire of adoption as plot device, of adoption as a shortcut to cheap drama, of adoption in the media, period. With trepidation, I watched Episode 1 ("Jerry Sloop") about a pair of siblings (a brother and a sister) looking for their brother who was lost in the shuffle a nasty divorce forty years prior. (I was actually relieved that adoption wasn't a factor at all in this first episode!) However, when the brothers reunited I absolutely lost it. Tears nearly shot out of my eyes as I felt that familiar frustration of not knowing how to find my own brother after years of searching.

This show was particularly difficult to watch as I was just dropped by Kin$olving via e-mail with this "Adoption Search Cancellation Notice":

"Michael,

After carefully reviewing your file once again, we regret to inform you that we have been unsuccessful in concluding your search and feel we have done all we know to do.

While we have exhausted all sources that are currently available to us, many searches are resolved by other investigaators [sic] that may have different research capabilities.

We encourage you to continue in your efforts and hope that you will be able to see your search through to a satisfactory conclusion.

Thank you for affording us the opportunity to try and assist you.

Again we wish that we could have completed your case but could not. Please consider this as termination of our contract.

Kinsolving Investigations"

This despite the fact that I supplied them with a copy of my brother's original birth certificate, his date of birth, his date of file, the name of the hospital where he was born, and the names of both of our parents (and their dates of birth). Is it possible to supply any more information to a researcher without first finding the subject of the investigation for them?

And why should I have to resort to paying someone else to find my own brother? Because we were both erased before either one of us knew how to speak and neither of us has any legal right to this information as adults.