Thursday, October 15, 2009

Lorrie Moore Tonight at Page Hall

My friend, Kevin, told me to read her short-story collection, Birds of America, a few years back and I've been grateful for that recommendation ever since. Tonight Lorrie Moore read from her new novel, A Gate at the Stairs, and I nearly walked out of the auditorium as the scene she was describing slowly came into focus.

But I couldn't.

And I didn't.

Because I was too thrilled to be in an audience of fellow bibliophiles listening to Lorrie Moore read from her new book even if the passage she read was about adoption. (Sometimes I just really want a break from this subject matter, from my own story, from the scarlet 'A' (different, but related, to Hester Prynne's) that I've been saddled with for well over thirty years.)

So, I bristled, but didn't bolt and I'm glad. Lorrie Moore is wickedly brilliant and incredibly funny and, if you haven't read her yet, take Kevin's advice and do so as soon as possible.

[Photo of Lorrie Moore by Lisa Carpenter lifted from The Guardian.]