Saturday, April 10, 2010

"No Place Like Home"

Thanks to a hot tip from JoAnn over some bad Mexican the other night, I had the immense pleasure of meeting Gregory Maguire this morning at The Empire State Book Festival underneath The Empire State Plaza (a perfect venue for this event, no?)

Not only was I thrilled to meet the author of Wicked, Son of a Witch, and A Lion Among Men, but I was particulary amazed to connect with someone who had also spent some quality time in the same orphanage. Walking away from the author table (mobbed, but well-behaved, by the way...), I realized that I'd never done that before (spoken to someone who had shared these very particular lodgings). But rather than getting something signed at said author table, I instead gave him a copy of Believer, Beware, an anthology that contains my essay about returning to St. Catherine's as an adult.

Of course, I left my stupid camera in my dumber apartment, so I lifted the above photo from Ellen Datlow's KGB gallery. [And, yes, I will be kicking myself for the rest of the day (and probably well into the night) about missing what may have been my one and only chance, EVER, to flash orphan gang signs in a photo with Gregory Maguire(!)]