Saturday, March 19, 2011

Andrew Pyper Reading at The U of T

Yesterday, I went back-and-forth to Toronto on the bus to attend the last reading in the "Literature for Our Time" Series featuring Canadian novelist Andrew Pyper. I recently read Lost Girls and am now looking forward to reading The Killing Circle. His advice to all of the aspiring writers in the audience was something along the lines of: "Be the author of your life rather than the actor in the play about your life that is being directed by someone else." (He conveyed this with far fewer words, however.)

While in the city, I had a luxurious and sophisticated soy latte at the diminutive, but incredibly welcoming, Jimmy's Coffee just off of King Street West and picked up a copy of the recent Giller Prize-winning The Sentimentalists, by Johanna Skibsrud. I've just started the book and it is quiet, dense, and poetic. More after I finish.

[Jimmy's was the second of "Toronto's Top 10 Independent Coffee Houses" (an article that was published in alt-weekly Eye Weekly) that I plan to hit, so I will be back sooner-than-later to savor the flavors of the third (TBD).]